Although there are some benefits to having a large number of followers, companies should focus more on acquiring quality followers. According to Mashable, a program called Schmap can help you analyze your Twitter followers, which can improve optimization of your Twitter account as a social media tool for your business.
Top 5 Favorite Professional "Tweeps"
- @chrisbrogan- President of Human Business Works. Has a great blog and always has interesting tweets about life as well.
- @GuyKawasaki- Author of Enchantment. Always has great articles to read about twitter and other social media sites. Great follow!
- @ev- Co-founder of Twitter. Tweets about new insights in the field as well insightful articles about social media. Never a bad thing to follow the guy who helped invent the site!
- @AdamSinger- PMM @GoogleAnalytics and creator of @TheFutureBuzz. One of the best blogs that i have read. Really find interest in this guy's tweets!
- @juliaroy- freelance consultant and @workhacks cofounder. A great entrepreneur that i like to follow.
Just recently, I started using Twitter at the end of January. I have gained a little over 50 followers since that time, but it's more about the quality of followers that i have. I engage with a good half of them and about ten of them on a regular basis.